Now that you have arrived in the US on a work basis you might have heard of the term SSN (Social Security Number). If you are looking to get an SSN (Social Security Number) immediately or looking for the complete procedure on how to get a number we will help you out.
If you are someone who is not aware of what is SSN (Social Security Number) let us first help you understand what is it?
What is the Social Security Number?
In the United States, a Social Security number (SSN) is a nine-digit number given to U.S. residents, perpetual occupants, and transitory (working) inhabitants. The number is given to a person by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Its basic role is to follow people for Social Security purposes.
The requirement of SSN Number
When you land in the US on a work visa, you should get a Social Security Number (SSN) right away. The SSN is required for the accompanying purposes:
- Working in the U.S.
- Getting Social Security benefits, and,
- Getting services from banks and other monetary establishments
- Make good on charges or be recorded as a reliant on an assessment form
- Accepting some other taxpayer-supported organizations
Procedure to apply for SSN?
Getting the SSN is a straightforward procedure.
- Go to the closest Social Security Administration (SSA) office
- Fill up an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
- Show unique archives or duplicates confirmed by the giving organization demonstrating your movement status [including a work grant by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), identification, personality card (ID)
- Get a receipt
- Get the SSN in 2-3 weeks via mail on your address.
- On the H1B visa, you are a migrant to the nation and not a resident. You will be requested the accompanying papers by Social Security:
- Form I-551 (incorporates machine-generated worker visa with your unexpired foreign passport)
- I-94 with your unexpired outside identification; or
- Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security (I-766 or I-688B).
Importance of getting SSN?
You should ensure your SSN like other significant reports, for example, visa, I-797, and so on.
- At first, you will require the SSN to work in the U.S., open a financial balance, and get profits by U.S. organizations. Since it is a one of a kind number consider as your own ‘following number’.
- The Social Security number is utilized by the Internal Revenue Service as an identifier in preparing your government forms. You will likewise require it to apply for a drivers permit, phone, internet, or cable.
- Your Social Security number is regularly utilized as a distinguishing proof number to get to numerous PC databases like your financial balance, credit report, tax report, and so on.
- All things considered, it resembles your total life sketch. Anybody with your SSN can get to all your own and expert data. There is a danger of misrepresentation and anybody can utilize your SSN to get to your financial balance, credit accounts, utility records, and other significant data. Subsequently, you should secure your SSN.
The procedure of SSN for Green Card Holders & Non-Immigrants
The other major dilemma is about the procedure of SSN for Green Card Holders & Non-Immigrants. So we will help to understand the requirement and procedure of SSN for both the group of people.
Social Security Number For Green Card Holders
This segment is for those individuals who have gone to the US as permanent residents or Green Card Holders. SSN is required for a perpetual inhabitant to live in the US. There are 2 different ways you can apply for the SSN:
You can apply for a Green Card alongside the Visa application before going to the US. For this, you need to fill the US Department of State (DOS) Form DS 230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration) or the electronic Form DS 260 (Immigrant Visa Electronic Application). You need not go to an SSN office or fill out a different SSN application structure
The DoS and the Department of Homeland Security will arrange to give you an SSN card. The card will be given to you after you go to the US. You will get the SSN card via mail 3 weeks after you land in the nation. It would be ideal if you contact the SSN office if you don’t get the card inside 3 weeks or on the off chance that you change your location.
On the off chance that you don’t make a difference for an SSN with your visa, at that point go to the SSN office to apply for a card. This procedure will take at least 2 weeks. The accompanying reports are required:
Your identification with the Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) or Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).
Your birth certificate and a birth testament for every relative applying for an SSN.
Social Security Number For Non-Immigrants
Here are the necessary records for SSN Application at Social Security Administration (SSA) for non-settler visa holders like college grads, H1B, and so forth.:
- Application for SS-5 (accessible at an SSA office or on the web)
- Legitimate Passport
- Unique SEVIS I-20 (for F-1 visa holders) or DS-2019 (for J-1/J-2 visa holders)
- A printout of your I-94 Arrival/Departure record
- Evidence of business qualification, for example, an employment bid letter, I-20 supported for CPT, or Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card
- Social Security number from OIS
Repercussions of using false SSN?
On the off chance that you have various Social Security numbers or utilize an SSN that was not given to you, don’t utilize it on USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) forms until you have addressed an immigrant attorney.
Never utilize a Social Security Number that was not given to you. Utilizing a bogus SSN (or one that was not given to you) will probably bring about your application being denied and may bring about other requirement activity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What if my Social Security Number is lost? Can I avail it once again?
In case you have lost your Social Security Number. You have to follow the following procedure.
Inform the SSA about a stolen or lost SSN card. Supplant your card with no extra expense if it is lost or taken. You can just supplant your SSN three times each year and up to multiple times during your lifetime. You should take note of that legitimate name changes and different updates don’t tally toward these breaking points. For instance, if changing your non-resident status won’t tally towards these breaking points. On the off chance that you get a green card and need to change your non-citizen status in the SSN card, you can do this whenever.
To order to avail your Social Security card again, you should:
- Complete the Application procedure For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5);
- Show confirmation of your personality;
- Show proof of your current lawful non-citizen status if you are on the H1B visa.
- You won’t get another number. Your Social Security card will have the same details and number from your past card.
2. How can I locate the nearest SSA office near me?
In order to discover the closest Social Security Administration office, follow the beneath steps.
- Go to https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp
- Type your postal division or look into the postal district for your city
- Get address, timings and headings to the workplace area
3. What precautions one should take if someone is asking for SSN?
The very first thing try not to give your social security savings number to anybody except if you are persuaded it is required.
You will be required to give the last four digits of your government disability number on numerous events. For instance, if you call the client support number for your any connection, the partner will request this number. Giving your number is intentional in any event when you are requested the number straightforwardly. Whenever mentioned, you should confirm:
- Why your number is required;
- Would you be able to supply some substitute data;
- How your number will be utilized;
- What occurs if that you reject; and
- What law expects you to give your number
The appropriate responses from the partner can assist you with choosing on the off chance that you need to give your Social Security number or not. On the off chance that you speculate something, you can essentially decline to give this data.
Additional tips that you should keep in mind related to SSN
Never print your Social Security Number on your checks, business cards, address marks and so forth.
Always sure that you do not carry your SSN card in your wallet.
Try not to toss any paper with your SSN data. Continuously utilize a shredder before arranging significant papers. Data fraud is a major issue in the U.S. You can ensure yourself by securing your significant records.
The nearest Social Security Savings office is recorded under U.S. Government offices in your phone index or you may call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.
On the off chance that you don’t have a phone registry, you may find the closest Social Security office on the Internet at http://www.socialsecurity.gov